Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Day 108 - "Let it out now, Put your chin up, You can do it tiger, You a man now..."

I think I belong to a gym full of people who hate going to the gym. Which is perfect, because that's exactly what I was looking for.

In my 10-15 times attending my local gym so far, other than the employees and trainers I've only ever seen the same face once or twice. Even my co-worker who introduced me to the gym I've only ever seen once (though in that case, she may just be trying to avoid me). People just don't go there. I go during the supposed "peak hours" right after work, and it's never more than about 20-30% full. And the ones who do go are always a different group of people.

Whenever I go there's a general malaise in the air. Like no one's really pushing themselves. Even the personal trainers seem to be more interested in getting it on with their clientele than helping to sculpt or tone anything.

Now as far as I know everyone there is paying some kind of membership, even if it's just month-to-month, to essentially never work out. Great news for me - the gym stays in business, and meanwhile my treadmill and weights are always available, there are less people judging me and my weight selection*. And I can of course go about feeling smug and superior, knowing that I'm working harder than everyone else (registered to be, but not actually) there. Yes, ok, essentially judging them, but not in terms of their bodies, which would be hypocritical.

On a semi-related workout note - I ran 6.1 miles through Central Park last week, in 1 hour and 10 minutes. Which was a definite first (just running there at all, the time was a pleasant surprise). Now I just need to be able to do that twice (and a little more) in under 2 hours and 45 minutes or so and I'll be ready for the half marathon. Woo-hoo!

-Matt

Yeah, but I'd still rather be playing: as a Ninja!


*25lbs is heavy to some people - just ask grandma over there!

No comments: