Monday, August 25, 2008

Day 233 - "Attention, attention, may I have all your eyes and ears to the front of the room..."

Altruism is definitely not in my genes.

They say donating blood is supposed to be a classic example of a truly altruistic act, since the donor sacrifices time, comfort, and well, life fluid for the sake of someone he'll most likely never meet. It's also anonymous, and after about 6 hours when the bandage is removed no one would theoretically ever know of your good deed. Should you choose not to speak about it.

Despite my best intentions, I always choose to speak about it (look no further than this blog!). And the second I do, with every smug comment and look of sheer egotistical joy I share with friends, family and coworkers takes away the true hypothetical selflessness of the deed. But how do you not casually mention to people what you're doing after work today? Am I supposed to tip-toe around the discussion of how I'm probably going to be saving thousands of lives during a much needed blood shortage from 6-7pm? Am I supposed to just casually deflect people asking me about the bandage on my arm? The arm where they stuck the needle?

Good deeds usually wind up being a way for me to feel better than other people in some small, usually trite way. Today at lunch two friends were discussing their respective sex lives, of which I had nothing of note to report. "Well, that's fine guys - keep on enjoying all that non-reproductive sex you're having. Guess who's making a difference in this world, with bodily fluids that actually have a purpose!" I just realized how cool it would have been if I had actually said that.

The way I see it, if no good deed goes unpunished, then I gotta squeeze whatever the hell I can out of them before I regret doing what I did! I guess that's just the kind of person I am. The kind of person who gives up his car*, raises close to $2000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and who nursed a cat back to health from either cancer or a nasty ear infection, depending on who you ask. All in one year!

This all makes me sound a little insecure, eh? Well, you can't judge me...I donated blood today.

-Matt

Yeah, but I'd still rather be: Castle Crashing!!!



*Yup, it's true. I decided to go GREEN. I traded my vehicle for 11,000 GREEN bills. Hey-yo!

No comments: