Sunday, September 28, 2008

Day 267 - "My my my how the time does fly when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night..."

I've been bad about posting due to a lack of any single coherent idea/point for a post, so I'm just going to throw everything I've got against the metaphorical wall here and we'll see what sticks:

1) First off - I'm at less than 100 days away at this point, which is very exciting. I'm on the home stretch at this point. Which means I'm on gaming deal websites every other day looking for cheap ass games to purchase and accumulate for the big day.

There's a part of me that knows deep down inside that in reality, I'm never going to get to a lot of these games, at least not before I'm too old to work, exercise, or go out to spend time with any of my friends and family. That same part of me is very excited for that point in time when I am that old, and I'll have lots and lots of gaming to look forward to. I only pray that whatever afflictions old age brings my way, my brain remains sharp and my hands remain steady! That, and of course, that I have relative freedom from our robot/zombie/angry, global-warming-afflicted polar bear overlords.

2) The new fall TV season kind of sucks. This has been said by hundreds of others all over the internet so I won't dwell too much on it. But I will say this: To the creators of this new HBO cartoon "The Life and Times of Tim" - your show looks ugly, and if you're going to pull off an animated show that looks worse than all of the poorly dubbed Japanime that's been brought to this country since the 1970s, then you'd better make sure it's balls-to-the-wall hilarious. South Park pulled it off 10 years ago, but from what I've seen in clips, your show is no* South Park.

3) I think if I was every to give up something else for a year (or forever), it would have to be the internet. Now, having just said that, I never will. Because I'm far more reliant and addicted to it now than I ever was with video games. I recently tried thinking of my life pre-internet, because I'm old enough to have known that life. But honestly, I don't know what I did with that extra time. Homework and freeze tag are my best guesses.

I've always been a big fan of magazines. I've had subscriptions to Entertainment Weekly, Psychology Today, Time, and of course, every video game magazine, ever. When I'm at the doctor's office, if I start reading an article, and I'm into it, I get really upset if I get called into the examination room while I'm mid-article. I'll either bring the magazine in with me (since I know I'll have some down time in there, inevitably), or I'll finish the article(s) I was interested in when I get out. The internet is to me essentially the greatest, longest, most detailed enthusiast magazine you've ever seen, and it covers every single hobby/topic you'd ever be interested in reading about. And it goes on forever. And it grows bigger as you hold it.

4) I read recently that 97% of all teens play video games. Guess who's going to be the cool uncle/neighbor/grandpa/random old dude someday?

5) Finally, as I stated some time ago, I knew that right about now I would be tired of the warm weather. Even though it was kind of cool last week, this week the heat and the humidity came back. Well, here I am saying it on the record - I'm ready for it to be cold again. I'm ready to sleep comfortably under blanket at night, and to bust out my winter wardrobe. The seasons are made for Matt Shafeek!

-Matt


Yeah, but I'd still rather be playing: New Old-School Mega Man!


*Seriously, if I have to see one more awful animated banner ad of your protagonist grabbing that old woman's boobs, I'm going to kill myself. No wait...you. Yeah, definitely you.

No comments: