Saturday, November 22, 2008

Day 322 - "I hear you call my name, and it feels like...home"

There was a point during my half marathon this year in which I got really sick of running. It was about 10 1/2, 11 miles in, when I was past Times Square and was just running along the Westside Highway, the finish line kinda-sorta in the distance, but still too far away to make me feel like I was really almost there. The adrenaline was gone, I was exhausted, people weren't cheering for me quite as hard anymore, and I wanted to be anywhere but in that race. This is basically how I feel right now with my year off.

I'm so close, and yet so far away. I knew from the get-go that this would be a tough month. November, and to a slightly lesser degree September and October are the big release months for all the great games. It's the equivalent of the summer blockbuster season for movie fans, or like, "Spring" for people who are really into that. And I, being the fool that I am, am doing nothing but reading up, watching videos of, and listening to podcasts discussing all of these great games.

I have a little over 6 weeks to go at this point. It's not quite the home stretch, but it's like, the home stretch in getting to the home stretch. Bleh.

Well, here's some fun facts I was thinking about at 3:00AM this morning:

1) I mentioned a while back having dreams of cheating and playing games early on in my year off. Those dreams subsided for a while, but they're back now in full force. I think my mind is mentally preparing itself to hold a controller again. Don't be surprised if I've lost nothing in terms of ability come January.

2) I've bought at least one game for every active* system I have in my apartment in anticipation for January. Mostly used, or dirt cheap, but still, I was unable to keep my game budget to $0 for the year like I had hoped. This, along with my flat screen tv purchase, and having all my systems back in my apartment (I had lent them out until recently) my be contributing to my current levels of temptation and frustration.

3) I've decided on the first game I'm going to play at midnight on January 6th. Geometry Wars. Discuss.

4) I've succeeded in every one of the goals I set out to do for the year (separate post of highlights forthcoming) with the exception of learning to cook 5 new meals. Which is fine. I'm thinking of rolling over the cooking thing into next year once I can play games again. I'll have nights where I invite friends over to teach and cook with me, and in return for that, I will return the favor with some grand 'ol gaming. Who knows? Maybe it'll land me a book deal, or some kind of crossover dual-broadcast show on the Food Network and G4.

5) Finally - sometimes, when no one's looking, there's a good chance I'm pantomiming this:


-Matt

Yeah, but I'd still rather be playing: Almost anything at this point. But more specifically? Probably some Left 4 Dead. Zombie Apocolypse multiplayer action and tension at it's best. Though hopefully not with this guy:


*PS2, PSP, DS, Wii, 360

1 comment:

R said...

If you have a rice cooker I can teach you to make arroz con pollo (that's spanish for chicken and rice). It's quick, easy, tasty and is all done right in the rice cooker. Or I can teach you my 4 hour chili, which leaves plenty of downtime for gaming.