Sunday, December 28, 2008

Day 358 - "A long December, and there's reason to believe maybe this year will be better than the last..."

Not pictured: Me shaking in the corner

At less than 10 days to go, I've officially hit the real home stretch. Above is a picture of what's awaiting me in T-minus less than 9 days. You could say I'm more than a little excited. Not only that - a lot of funny thoughts have begun entering my head recently. Namely:

1) For the first time in my life, I've played less games than everyone I know. And yes, odds are, unless you don't own or have access to phone, a computer, or someone you know with Wii Sports, you've played some form of video game this year. And for the first and only time in my life, I can be that total snob that goes: "Oh...that's cool. No, I don't really play games at all. I guess I'm just busy, you know, doin' more important stuff." Of course, I won't. More to the point - I can't, without looking a real big tool come January 6th.

2) This time next Sunday I will be THIRTY YEARS OLD. How the hell did that happen?!?

3) I went on a run outside yesterday and found myself being extra careful when crossing streets, entering traffic, etc. I think there's a part of me that not-so-subconsciously afraid of getting seriously injured or even dying just before I reach the finish line. How tragic would that be? I'm sure at my funeral, they'd mention how I was so close to my goal, and that now I'm probably playing video games up in heaven
*. Maybe they'd even bury me with a video game controller. Heh, that'd be kind of cute. But no! This story will have a happy ending! One where I'm alive playing games again! That, or I die heroically saving the (soon to be) President by jumping in front of a hail of bullets and my name become synonymous with "taking a bullet" for someone - i.e. "Dude, I totally pulled a Shafeek for you yesterday when I told the boss it was my fault the files didn't arrive in time..."

4) The extra free time from the holidays, combined with the lack of any new, good tv and movies, and the fact that I'm ever so close to my goal have created the perfect storm of boredom and frustration. FFFAAAACCCKKKK
*!

5) The other two fears I have is that either A) I will have somehow overhyped video games in my own mind, so much so that after a day or so of playing I will lose interest again (another tragedy), or B) that after not playing for so long I'll have lost all my former ability, and I'll be that controller fumbling, button mashing, gaming noob I've made fun of for years! Oh, the shame. Death would be preferable to such travesties. Well, at least, you know...the cool death I mentioned before.

Boy does not playing games give you a lot a time for self-reflection!

8 days, 7 hours, and 57 minutes...

-Matt

Yeah, but I'd still rather be playing: Though I realize that RPG's are going to the hardest thing to get back into come 2009, games like Fable 2 are the also some of the highest rated, well received, and thus hardest to resist games out there:


*This assumes a lot about the place. Would they get new releases past the point in which I died? Does everyone get their own tv, or would it be a shared common room kind of situation? And I hope there's no filter or ban on any M-rated titles. Not in my heaven.
*For the record, not a curse word. Just a sound of frustration.

2 comments:

Bodhisattva Harlem Mama said...

almost frackin there....watch you stop blogging. oh well.

Ryan Johns said...

Matt! Your almost there buddy!! I've really been enjoying reading your blog over the last year- its preparing me for a two-year absence of videogames starting this June- I'm serving as a missionary for two years.

At least I know it can be done...