Monday, January 4, 2010

364 Days UP - "You're all I knew you'd become..."

Aw, thank you Google Image Search!

So...I turned 31 today. How about that! Quick stray observation - I got more birthday wishes on Facebook then ever before, and I don't think it's necessarily because I'm made more friends, or that people are just using Facebook more. I think my birthday happened to land on a day when a lot of people are going back to work after a nice long (or even short) vacation, and they're looking for any excuse to not do any work. Hah, so yes, I'm basically calling out all the people who wished me a Happy Birthday over the internet today as lazy bastards just looking for another in what I imagine was a series of 30 seconds delays to the miseries of their 9-5. But hey, I love the attention regardless, so let's be clear: I'm not complaining. I'm just analyzing the situation, and deciding how I can use this information in the future. (Note to self: post all blog posts and internet videos on the first weekday after long weekends)

Now 2009/My 'Nerdy 30' was a year I sort of allowed myself to relax and enjoy the year without worrying too much about specific, organized goals. And it was certainly a fun year. But I'm going to try to get back to attempting some long term projects. First on the list? Writing my first short story. And don't get your hopes up, because unless I'm dead and you're ransacking my hard drive, or I become some sort of literary sensation and it gets included on a heavily asterisk's* "Early Works" collection, you'll probably never read it.

A friend recently proposed an interesting arrangement with me to make sure we're each productive - using our level of productivity as a way to nudge the other into not being lazy. I write a page, I text him and let him know he owes me (or really, himself) a page. We both really WANT to be productive, and we're both pretty good about pestering one another, so the plan should work, in theory. The only fatal flaw - which has already reared its ugly head - someone has to be productive first.

-Matt

PS: Full post-Paused video game rundown on the official one year Pause-aversary in 2 days.

Currently Playing: Knee deep in Assassin's Creed 2, and loving it. Just finished up and am currently making the final rounds of 100% puzzle completion in Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (Spoiler Alert: It actually wasn't all that diabolical) and believe it or not, I'm still playing Resident Evil 5 on a pretty regular basis, both the campaign and the stupidly addicting Mercenaries mode.

*Note that at the time of this writing, Matt Shafeek was without an author, and was not aware of whether or not his usage of "asterisk's" was proper English. Also, he was too lazy to find out.

No comments: