Wednesday, January 6, 2010

One Year Un-Paused - "We don't have to take our clothes off to have a good time, oh no..."

Ding Ding Ding! Yeah, I know, not quite as momentous as it was one year ago, when I was finally able to start playing games again after a seemingly forever long three hundred sixty five day hiatus. But it's still a date to remember, if for nothing else that it's also the two year anniversary of this blog! Hooray! Ok, now onto the list, broken down by title, completion level, time played, and my newest, highly subjective rating system, the 'OER' or Overall Enjoyment Rating:

Matt's 2009 Games Played

Game Played CL TP OER
Geometry Wars 2 D 10 9
Braid C 8 9
The World Ends With You D 100+ 10
Rock Band 2 C 12 8.5
Super Smash Bros. Brawl D 20 8.5
Mass Effect D 30 9
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess SW 15 XX
Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 1 D 8 8
God of War 2 C 15 9
Assassin's Creed C 22 8.5
Doom C 12 8
Exit 2 SW 8 XX
Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 2 D 8 8
Plants Vs. Zombies D 40 9.5
Street Fighter IV C 10 8
Been There Dan That C 5 8
Patapon Db 2 7
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia D 20 9
Burnout Paradise C 15 8.5
N+ SW 7 XX
Prince of Persia C 18 8
Bionic Commando Re-Armed SW 2 XX
Puzzle Quest SW 4 XX
Space Invaders Extreme C 2 7
Time Gentleman, Please C 5 8
Professor Layton and the Curious Village D 20 9
Contra IV Db 1 7
Batman: Arkham Asylum D 25 10
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box C 20 8
Final Fantasy VI Advance SW 30 XX
Left 4 Dead Db 1 8
Half-Life 2 C 10 7.5
Shadow Complex D 12 9
Defense Grid C 20 9
Wii Sports Resort Db 2 8.5
The Beatles Rock Band Db 2 7.5
Dead Space Extraction Db 2 6
Punch Out!! Db 2 7.5
Resident Evil 5 D 40 9
New Super Mario Bros. Wii SW 8 8.5
Assassin's Creed 2 SW 10 XX

Legend:
CL = Completion Level (D = Destroyed, C = Completed,
Db = Dabbled, SW = Still Working)
TP = Time Played (In hours)
OER = Overall Enjoyment Rating

That's a total of approximately 603 hours, give or take who knows. Looks like I beat 26 games, about one every other week. My top three games of the year, in terms of time commitment are The World Ends With You, Plants Versus Zombies, and Resident Evil 5, which were all incredibly addicting, incredibly satisfying games in their own right. The top 3 highest rated games is basically the same list, swapping out RE5 for Batman: Arkham Asylum - which basically only says that Batman wasn't quite as replayable for whatever reason as RE5 was. In other words RE5's Mercenaries Mode were great, the Challenge Rooms in Batman, not quite so much (though, I did totally conquer them).

I left out the OER on games I haven't beaten yet, for what I believe to be fairly obvious reasons, though some games, like NSMB Wii, I can easily assign a rating to without finishing the last 2 worlds. Lowlights from the year? Contra for the DS underwhelmed me, but I really only played it twice. Patapon I REALLY wanted to like (it was the only game I even attempted to play on my PSP all year), but I just could not get into the flow of things.

Completed/Destroyed is a fairly arbitrary distinction, but it usually means I went back did just about everything was to do, as opposed to just beating the game. This distinction also can be taken as a note to game developers as to how much fun your side/bonus content was for me.

Lastly - I played mostly single player games this year, a trend I see continuing for the foreseeable future. In other to really enjoy a multiplayer game like say, Modern Warfare 2, I'd have to invest much more time than I'd like given the number of games I like to play. Believe me, if I somehow had more than 603 hours to devote to video games in a year, I'd be on the front lines, kicking ass and taking names.

So that's that. A fantastic rewarding year for my favorite hobby. What will 2010 hold for me and my yo-yo like time management tendencies?

-Matt

No comments: