Sunday, March 14, 2010

My Signature Signature

At a restaurant recently a friend (now more of a 'frenemy') pointed out the fact that I had a lousy signature. And he was absolutely right! Since the age of about 10, or whenever I learned to write in script, my signature has been this, which is essentially my name in crappy 4th grade script:

Yup. All letters accounted for. A+ for consistency.

On a number of occasions during the time between then and now, I did realize that I didn't love my boring signature, but I came up with excuse that the letters in my name (specifically the 'M' and the 'S' didn't really lend itself to any super snazzy. If either my names started with an R or a Z...well, then I'd have no excuse but to show off, right?

Well, ever since that night I've begun to hate my old signature, and I've become painfully aware of just how often I deliver it to the world on a regular basis. Timesheet approvals! UPS deliver confirmations! The backs of new credit cards! The cycle (more of a persistent pattern, really) has to stop!

So I've started working on something new. I've been scribbling my work-in-progress signature on random sheets of paper like a school girl fawning over her new crush. I don't know that I've perfected it yet, but I think it's safe to say it's an improvement over what I had before:

But, but...who is this person? Maria Sharapova?!?!

Your signature is such a simple way to show off some personality, and I can't believe it's taken me this long to embrace that. I'm open to suggestions and submissions if you feel like sharing, plus I'd love to hear about anyone's own signature origin story.

-Matt

Currently Playing: I spent an awful stormy Saturday night last night indoors finally conquering the bonus 9th world in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The next to last stage (9-7) was BONKERS but so utterly satisfying once I finally collected all 3 big coins and beat the level. (Side note: man, these sections must sound incredibly silly to someone not at all into games, huh? I guess I can safely assume they simply don't read this part) I also spent the previous night enjoying some Tatsunoko vs Capcom with a close friend who also embraced my new obsession with Harry Potter, busting out the remaining three movies I hadn't seen (spot analysis: some decent entries overall, but I'll be a snob and say just go ahead and read the books). Finally, I dabbled in a ton of other demos and DLC last weekend, which I talked about on the latest amped gaming podcast, available for download here.

3 comments:

lalala said...

I enjoy the new signature. It has a star in it! :)

跑步 said...

Never hesitate to hold out your hand; never hesitate to accept the outstretched hand of another...................................................

bigeyedeer said...

I HATE my signature. It is a small, unkempt thing that looks like a someone swatted a mosquito on the paper. And it is inconsistent; sometimes I feel I am trying to forge my own signature!

Anyway, just recently I've started playing with new versions too. Wish me luck.

BTW the new one is nifty. The old one, believe it or not, makes my current loathed one look like a pre-schooler wrote it. Yikes!