Monday, January 16, 2012

Animated Stories

A few months back, in the midst of NaNoWriMo, I heard about a show that a friend and fellow performer named Todd Bieber was putting together called "Animated Stories," in which audience members can volunteer to tell a five minute story of their choosing, and the best story of the night actually gets animated and shown at the next show. So I went to the show on a whim and dropped my name in a hat. I was picked fourth (I think) out of six storytellers that night, and I told the same story I told during my recent storytelling class about my experience as a hardcore Atheist dating a devout Christian girl at Williams college.

Long story short, at the end of the night they chose my story as the winner! It was an exhilarating moment - I'd only just started doing live storytelling, and to have my story win inspired me to continue telling live stories.

One month later, at the December show, the animated version of my story debuted, and just this week the piece got posted online, so I can share it now with all of you. I think it came out great - hope you enjoy it:



If you're in the New York area and interested in telling a story of your own to potentially get animated, Todd's show go up once a month at UCB East. Check the calendar for the next scheduled show.

Finally, as a sweet little bonus, here are some of the other stories from previous winners/special guests of the show. The first one's by Dave Hill, a hilarious musician/artist who tells of his experience with a fancy Japanese toilet:



I heard this one live at the same show I did, a great story about a tragic, smelly subway experience by Anthony Atamanuik:



And this one's from a guy who sort of killed a girl in elementary school. Tragedy + time = comedy gold, folks:




My friend Jon Bander actually wound up getting his story animated a month after me:



Finally, a story by writer/performer Chris Gethard, who was apparently an evil, evil baby:



-Matt


1 comment:

Buzzers Kuber Natarajan said...

Nowaday animation is one of the fast growing technology in the worlddd.....
animated stories