Thursday, August 15, 2013

Factions


I've been playing a lot of Factions, the online multiplayer mode in The Last Of Us. I find the combat incredibly addicting, though I'm actually not very good at shooting other people. I mostly run around healing my teammates and crafting items for them. There's something kind of funny about being a video game medic, desperately trying to stave off the endless cycles of death all around you. I mean, I still get awarded lots of parts for my efforts, so whatever.

I love games like I love nothing else and I take them all very seriously. Some might argue too seriously, though I would certainly disagree with that. It's an old habit from childhood that I don't really care to change, much like my unwillingness to lower my voice in public settings.

If you and I are hanging out in a group and the suggestion of playing a game comes up (most likely from me) and you don't want to play any games, this will upset me. Why would you not want to play games? Games are great. Games are fun. Why do you dislike great fun?

If you agree to play a game, but then show no investment in said game, this will upset me even more. Why are you not taking this game seriously? Games only work if everyone takes the game seriously. Why do you enjoy ruining everyone's fun?

The key to winning in Factions is finding a solid group of players that all are willing to work together. Ideally they all have mics so they call out or respond to tactics, and no one plays Rambo and runs off on their own. I always play the de facto leader of the group, but if someone pushes hard for the role, I will happily acquiesce. After all, you are showing a level of commitment to the game that I have the utmost respect for.

One of the players on my friend list is a guy who goes by the handle BCity. I am RCJester, which is short for Royal Court Jester. I don't know what 'BCity' is short for, but if I had to take a guess I'd say Bliss City, 'cause BCity is always in a good mood.

"Yo, you fuckers just got schooled!" someone on the opposing team shouts into the lobby after we've lost a game.

"Hah - you seriously trash talkin' after one game? That ain't nothin'," BCity says.

"Check the scoreboard bitch," the voice responses.

"Uh, how about you check the scoreboard, bitch - look at my goddamned level and tell me I haven't won more games than you."

This is great because I mostly stay quiet during the post-game whether we win or lose since I don't want to ever come off like a hypocrite. At most I'll pretend as if I've heard "good game," and return the imagined sentiment.

"Hey BCity - do you think you're tough because you're black?" the same voice says to him. Now I kind of wish BCity hadn't said anything because we're about two sentences away from the n-word coming out.

"Why do you think I'm black? Is it because that's the color of the guy who fucked your mama last night?" BCity says, all with a casual tone. He's clearly handled this kind of comment before.

Our opponents log off and it's back to just me and BCity in the lobby.

"Haha, damn. Can you believe those kids thought I was black? That's fucking hysterical."

"Hah, yeah, seriously," I say. I also believe BCity is black. It's the kind of thing you can tell in a person's voice. He's either black, or he's a very talented and committed performer.

One of my favorite things about online gaming is that once the game gets going you can't pause it or take a time out to interrupt things. If anything in real life comes up and you have to put the controller down your character is now just helplessly standing there in the game world, fully exposed and likely soon dead. It's pretty much the highest level of commitment you can find in a gaming experience.

What I love about BCity is he's one of the few players I know who's never disappeared in the middle of a game. Even I've had to step away on occasion and I hate myself for it. I always apologize profusely when I come back and make sure to craft extra gifts for my teammates to make up for my absence. But BCity doesn't stop for anything. Even when his young daughter is screaming in the background for his attention.

"Yo Kaitlin - shut the fuck up and let daddy play his game," BCity tells the little girl who sounds no older than two. "I told you I'll feed you when I finish a few more rounds, okay?"

The idea of a grown man yelling at his likely starving child (whose real name I now know) is mildly disturbing, but also this game is really close and BCity is our best killer.

"Language, BCity!" I say jokingly, hoping a polite teasing will sink in later when he's not playing. Plus I have my own reputation to uphold. They don't call me RCJester for nothing. Well, I mean, technically I named myself that, but also there's this persona that I maintain. Whatever.

"Haha, it's cool man. She don't know what the fuck I'm saying."

I drop the subject and focus on the game. We wind up winning handily. Back in the lobby, BCity bursts into a rap that I don't recognize. I offer up some beatbox sounds in support.

"So, you gotta go now BCity?" I ask, assuming his time is up.

"Nah man, I'm good for a few more if you're around."

His child cries in the background. She sounds pretty upset. But also, we're officially on a streak now.

"Yeah, definitely. Let's do it up."

No comments: